Thenewreligion Introduction

Just a wannabe bootmaker down here in Saint Cloud, Florida. Just crimped my first vamps last night! Using Lisa’s baby pattern. We chatted a little on reddit (same username). I am also a collector of anything and everything I can read, and am still trying to get through all the relevant forums and libraries - HCC, Fletcher’s old forum, Little’s FB group etc. I read about this post on the SD discord. I do hope to learn how to make a variety of footwear but for now pretty focused on western boots, which I’d love to make from last to laces by hand. Well, OK, not laces.

2 Likes

Welcome! Glad to have you here.

Laces are actually pretty fun and easy, especially leather laces.

I am not (yet) a cowboy boot make myself, but I’ve heard good things about Cottle and McKinney’s How to Make Western Boots. I believe Panhandle Leather used to stock it.

I can personally recommend Kirby Allison’s series following Lee Miller making a pair of boots for him. The whole thing was worthwhile watching for me, but I’ve shared my notes online for folks who might like to find and skip to a particular step.

I’d be really interested in your overall views on the various Facebook groups for cowboy boot making. I haven’t had a Facebook account for many years now, but have heard that it’s particularly good for networking with cowboy boot makers in particular.

@thenewreligion, I hope you don’t mind me moving your post to a new introduction topic! I’d forgotten to create a new category for introductions. On other forums, I’ve found it’s a great way to get to know folks and give them good welcomes.